us your ideas!
- Author: Patricia Wittmann
- Ages: All Ages-Easy
- Topic: American bison, buffalo,
Families, Frontier & Pioneer life, Oregon
Trail, Wagon trails
- Genre: Fiction
- The Isaac family is heading west in a
prairie schooner. Young Karl Isaac tells his
experiences on the journey. He sees many
things, but he dreams of seeing buffalo. Karl
finally gets his wish. The stampede of
buffalo is an incredible sight, but it almost
turns into a disaster. We can almost taste
the dust!! Karl will always remember the
sight of the buffalo, the thundering noise,
and how the wagons shook.
Beyond the Book
- Use the Internet Connections below to find
resources needed to complete the following
- Read the online story titled Across
the Plains by Prairie Schooner.
- Make your own story of adventure while traveling
West in your prairie schooner.
- Plan a trip to the frontier on the Oregon Trail.
Make a list of items you will need to take including
transportation, equipment, clothing, and food.
- Make a list of the personal things would you like
to take on the trip. Now, decide which items will need
to stay home because of the amount of space you have
- Play the MECC computer game called Oregon
- Make a series of pictures showing what you saw
while traveling West with Karl Isaac.
- Create a map showing the route that Karl probably
- Discuss what you have learned about life on the
trails to the West in the frontier days.
- Learn about the history of the buffalo. Create a
timeline and map showing what's happened to the
buffalo since the time of the Oregon Trail.
- Read an excerpt from a pioneer diary. Compare
their experiences to the Isaac family.
- The cover of the book shows buffalo in the clouds.
Create your own cloud illustration of an animal you
might see on the Oregon Trail.
- Internet Connections
- All about the Oregon Trail
- Historic Sites on the Oregon Trail
- American Bison Information
- History of Bison
- Pictures & Facts from the National Park
- Bison Photos
- Friends of the Prairie-buffalo
- Pioneer Diaries & Emigrant Biographies
- Author and Book
- Patricia Wittmann's own ancestors crossed the
country on the Oregon Trail in 1845 to settle in
Oregon. She lives in Seattle, Washington.
- Read other books by the same author:
- Buffalo Thunder
- Go Ask Giorgio!
- The Window Garden
to Fun with Favorites
Created by Annette