In the Small, Small Pond
Author: Denise Fleming
Illustrator: Denise Fleming
Awards: Caldecott Honor (1994)
Topics: picture book, nonfiction, pond, frog, pond life, pond ecology, animals, growth and change, nature and season, habitat, poetry, reptiles and amphibians
Summary: Learn about the cycle of pond life through this rhyming alliteration and colorful illustration.
Frogs and Toad
- 42explore: Frogs and Toads
- Frogs from Wikipedia
- Frog Images and Media from Wikimedia commons
- Frogs from Exploratorium
- Sometime Froggy
- Frogs and Toads from Enchanted Learning
- Thousand Friends of Frogs
- Pulp Painting from Denise Fleming's Website
Learn about papermaking and pulp painting
- Papermaking from Wikipedia
Ponds and Pond Life
- 42explore: Pond Life
Links to resources related to pond life.
Explore the life in a pond
- Half-Barrel Pond Page
Create your own pond
- Pond Action
Lots of ideas and resources relatd to pond science
- Pond Dipping
Learn about pond dipping
- Pond Identification Kit
Find out about the creatures that live in the pond
- Pond: Seasons in Still Water
Learn about seasons of a pond
- Ponds from Wikipedia
- Ponds from Wikimedia Commons
- Virtual Pond Dip
Learn about what you can find in pond water
- 42explore: Turtles and Tortoises
- All About Turtles
- Turtles Trax
- Turtles from Wikipedia
- Turtle Images and Media from Wikimedia Commons
- Animal Exploration. Create a list of creatures found in the book. Learn more about one of the creatures. Write a poem about this creature that includes facts and colorful language describing how it looks and moves.
- Build a Pond. Try creating your own pond!
- Ecology Rhyme. Write your own rhyme related to a pond or other ecology topic. Use hte RhymeZone for help with rhyming words.
- Life Cycle. Learn about the life cycle of a pond creature. Then, write a story about the cycle.
- Pond Picture. When you think of a pond, what do you see in your mind? Draw a picture or find a photo that reflects your idea.
- Pond Mural. Create a mural of a pond habitat. Include both plants and animals.
- Habitat Collage. Create a habitat collage including plants and animals from the habitat.
- Papermaking. The author creates her own paper to make her illustrations. Look at the pictures carefully. Can you tell it's paper? Go to Pulp Painting to see her work and try it yourself.
- Create a literature circle activities with the other Denise Fleming books such as In the Tall, Tall Grass
- In th Small, Small, Pond Activities from the Official Website
- In the Small, Small Pond (PDF) from Scholastic
- Lesson Ideas
- In the Small, Small Pond (DOC)
Do a Thinkfinity search for lessons related to this book.