The Stray Dog
From a true story by Reiko Sassa
Author: Retold by Marc Simont
Illustrator: Marc Simont
Publisher: Harper Collins
Awards: ALA Notable Children's Book, Caldecott Honor book (2002), Boston Glube-Horn Book Award Honor Book
Topics: dogs, picnics, family, stray dogs
Summary: This heartwarming book tells the story of a picnicking family charmed by a stray dog. When their picnic ends, they say good-bye to the dog and go home. But they cannot forget him. A week later, they return for the dog --only to find that the dogcatcher is looking for him too.
- The Stray Dog from HarperCollins website
Background information and awards.
- Dogs from Wikipedia
- Dogs and Kids
- American Kennel Club
- The Kennel Club of UK
- Dogs Pictures from Wikicommons
- Animal Tales from the Home at Last Animal Sanctuary
- Hollywood Gives Stray Dogs New Leash on Life from National Geographic
- U.S. Facing Feral-Dog Crisis from National Geographic
- What To Do When You Find a Stray Dog or Cat
An article from the Humane Society
- My Pet. Using the Dogs Pictures from Wikipedia or from Petfinder. Copy a picture into your world processor. Create your own dog character and write a story about finding the dog. Why is this the dog you would choose.
- I'm Ready. Would you make a good pet owner? Why or why not? What are the characteristics of a good pet owner?
- Presidental Pet. Write a story about a presidental pet. Go to the list of United States Presidental pets from Wikipedia.
- Dog Tricks. Read about dog training at Wikipedia. What tricks did the dog in the book know? Read about how to teach a dog tricks. Write directions to help someone teach a dog a trick.
- Working Dogs. Read about working dogs at wikipedia. Would you like to help a dog become a working dog? Do you think the stray dog in the story would be a good working dog? Why or why not?
- Dog Communication. How did the stray dog communicate to the child? How do dogs communicate? Read about dog communication at Wikipedia. Write a story that includes factual information about dog communication.
- Try Activities.
- The Stray Dog Activities from Family Education
- Try a WebQuest .
Do a Thinkfinity search for lessons related to dogs.