Effective Web Assignments
The web can provide an exciting environment for your students to explore and learn. Many online tools are available to help you create activities and online assignments. You can also use tools to develop quizzes, rubrics, checklists, puzzles, and other assessments.
Identify Quality Resources
Why reinvent the wheel? Start my exploring the resources and materials others have developed on topics in your content area. Start with the following starting points. Also, consider narrowing your search with specific words such as Biology lesson plans or civil war powerpoint presentation.
- 42explore - great thematic resources across content areas
- Teacher Tap - Educational Portals and Starting Points
- ERIC - Higher Education
- Academic Info - Higher Ed
- MERLOT - Higher Ed
- AskERIC - Higher Ed
- Kathy Schrock's Guide for Educators - All Levels
- High School Hub - High School
Develop Meaningful Web Assignments
Try to address higher-level thinking by asking students to synthesize and evaluate information found on the Internet.
Contact an Expert
Rather than using dated books and articles, ask students to use primary sources such as oral histories and interviews in their research. Use directories and experts sites to locate individuals for online interviews and email communication. For example, you could email professionals about career interests, send a document to a legislator, or contact a professional about specific questions.
- Teacher Tap: Ask an Expert - links to lots of expert sites
- LibrarySpot: Find People - links to people online
Connect to the Headlines
Ask students to connect current events to course content.
- Headline Spot - provides links to "hot" headlines available "on the web".
- Teacher Tap: News - links to many news resources for K12 and higher education students
Ask students to select and critique an online paper or resource. Students should provide supportive evidence from other sources in addition to personal experience. Do a search for "study guides" or "free essays" and you'll find many more.
- SparkNotes - study guide website on all content areas
- 4FreeEssays.com - popular papermill
- Bibliomania - study guides on literature
- Teacher Tap: Plagiarism - links to articles about plagiarism and popular papermills.
Evaluate Online Materials
Help students find and evaluate online resources. You could also email the webmaster of a particular page to request information or explanations.
Build or Use a WebQuest
Develop an inquiry-based activity called a WebQuest. Do a search for your topic and add the word "webquest" such as tornado webquest.
Use Online Development Tools
Explore the many online tools available for teachers and students.
Activity Page Builders. Use the following tools to create your own web-based activity page.
- Web Worksheet Wizard - build electronic worksheets
- Notable Pics - upload a picture and an activity
- Filamentality - make hotlists, samplers, webquests, and other instructional materials
- Project Poster - student project pages
- NiceNet - free threaded discussion service
Quiz Builders. Use the following tools to create your own quiz.
- Quiz Star - free quiz maker at 4teachers
- Discovery Quiz Center - free quizmaker
- Funbrain - quizmaker
- Quia - quizmaker (subscription service)
- QuizHub - quizmaker (subscription service)
Rubric Makers and Checklist Makers. Use the following tools to create your own rubric.
- Rubistar - this free rubric generator helps you create rubrics from templates in six different areas
- Teach-nology Rubric Generator - learn to create a dozen different types of rubrics.
- Project-based Learning Checklists - this site generates many types of checklists
Puzzle Generators. Create a simple puzzle to review class vocabulary. Ask students to develop a review puzzle for others.
- Discovery Puzzlemaker - generates many types of puzzles and mazes
- Word Search Maker at Teachnology - generates a word search
PowerPoint Jeopardy. Download the Jeopardy PowerPoint template and create your own game.
- Jeopardy Template - Download the Jeeparty PowerPoint Template by Cary Harr
- Mississippi River Jeeparty Game using Cary Harr's template
Teacher Tool Starting Points
More Tools and Builders
- Zoomerang - create online surveys
- Yahoo Bookmarks - online bookmarks
- Yahoo Calendar - online calendar
- Timeline Maker - Teachnology timeline maker
- Classroom Materials Makers
Other Puzzle and Quiz Builders - May require more technology skill to use
Use building tools to create a project.